You are here
CNA Certification in Greater Boston
DATES: Fall, Spring and Summer
MODE: Webex remote instruction of didactic, in-person skills labs and clinical at a long-term care facility.
Scholarships are available.
WHAT DO certified NURSing ASSISTANTS DO?
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) perform vital hygiene and daily living functions of patients in their care. They are also responsible for positioning and transporting patients, obtaining vital signs, maintaining a clean and safe living environment, and for monitoring the overall health and safety of their patients.
WHY BECOME A certified NURSing ASSISTANT?
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) provide an invaluable service and play an important role in caring for elderly or disabled patients. In the growing field of health care, the ability to provide compassionate, responsible assistance to incapacitated people is a needed skill. Nurse Assistants find employment in nursing homes, hospitals, and rehabilitation facilities, or as home health aides, working directly with patients and under the supervision of Registered Nurses or Licensed Nurse Practitioners. Nurse Assistants are people who:
- Enjoy working with people who rely on them.
- Want to make a difference in people’s lives.
- Desire a rewarding and sustainable career.
WHAT IS 皇冠线上官网’S certified NURSing ASSISTANT PROGRAM?
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) are vital members of the healthcare team, performing hands-on resident/client care and routine tasks for individuals of various ages and health conditions. In just eight weeks*, 皇冠线上官网 prepares Nurse Assistant Training students for the Red Cross Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation (NACE) test and for an entry-level career in health care as a Nurse Assistant. In this 120–hour certificate training program (80 lecture/laboratory hours online and 40 clinical hours at a long-term care facility), students will learn how to perform routine healthcare tasks for today’s increasingly diverse population. The course will include basic skills training, such as the fundamentals of how to check and monitor vital signs and deal with a wide range of patients’ and residents’ needs. Other topics include the roles and responsibilities of the Nurse Assistant; understanding the elderly; safety; food service; personal care; elimination; restorative nursing; use of assistive devices; hygiene and infection control; and work ethics of a professional member of the nursing and health team. Classes are held online and are small, ensuring an intimate student-centered environment.
WHAT MAKES NURSE ASSISTING A GOOD CAREER CHOICE?
- Short-term Training: Mass Bay’s program is only 8 weeks long, including lecture and lab/clinical practice.
- Solid Job Growth Prospects: In Massachusetts, this job is expected to grow 17% through the year 2022.*
- Good Pay: In Massachusetts, the median hourly wage in 2015 was $14.*
- Room for Advancement: A Nurse Assistant can, with additional education at 皇冠线上官网, advance to become a Practical Nurse, and then advance to become a Registered Nurse.
- Typical job benefits include medical and other insurance and 401(k) retirement savings plan.
* Source: Massachusetts Department of Labor and Workforce Development
Program graduates receive a Certificate of Completion in Nurse Assistant Training which—along with certification—can get them an entry-level job as a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA). 皇冠线上官网’s Nurse Assistant program is approved by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Approval # 91262P.
Tuition: (Due at time of registration)
Clinical Uniform, patch and name tag.
Watch (with a sweep-second hand)
Required Textbook: Nursing Assisting: A Foundation in Care Giving 5th Edition Hartman 2020.
Healthcare Provider CPR Certification.
Scholarships are available through the 皇冠线上官网 Foundation. For the application, visit 皇冠线上官网 Scholarships.
Program Requirements Before Acceptance:
- Be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
- Complete the CORI and SORI forms to authorize a search of records for past criminal offenses.
Depending on the results of the CORI and SORI check, participation in the program’s clinical component may be denied.
- Meet all technical standards.
- Read and sign the Memo of Understanding.
Program Requirements After Acceptance:
- Have reliable transportation.
- Have a current Healthcare Provider CPR card.
- Complete a national county background check.
- Purchase the required textbook.
- Purchase the required uniform, patch, and name-tag and have them for the third class meeting.
- 100% attendance at all class and clinical sessions.
- Successfully pass all course tests and quizzes at 75% or better.
- Obtain 100% in skills lab competency prior to participating in clinical sessions.
Students who do not meet the above requirements will not be awarded a certificate.
When offered in the fall, spring and summer semesters, classes take place online during the week. Hands-on clinical experiences are scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays from 7:00am – 3:30pm in long-term care facilities.
Online instruction via WebEx with clinical instruction at a Long-term Care Facility (subject to change)