You are here
Surgical Technology Information
What is a Surgical Technologist (“ST”)?
The Surgical Technologist is a vital member of the surgical team functioning under direct supervision of the surgeon and registered nurse in the operating room. The aging of the large baby-boom generation has increased the need for surgical technologists, because older people usually require more operations. Moreover, as these individuals age, they may be more willing than those in previous generations to seek medical treatment to improve their quality of life.
The duties of the ST include:
- Assisting the Surgeon.
- Selecting & preparing instruments for surgery.
- Assisting & operating surgical equipment.
- Monitors medications & irrigation fluids during surgery.
- Provides patient with a safe & caring environment.
Clinical site placement throughout the program will be coordinated by the Program Director/Clinical Coordinator and take place in various hospitals in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Current hospital sites associated with 皇冠线上官网 Community College offer a range of experience to suit all levels of interest.
What Makes Surgical Technology a good career choice?
- Short-term quality training: 皇冠线上官网’s program is only 24 months long, including both lecture, laboratory, and clinical components.
- Solid job growth: In Massachusetts, job prospects for Surgical Technologists are expected to grow by 6% from 2021 to 2031.
- Good pay: In 2022, the typical median hourly wage in Massachusetts is $30.47*.
- Room for advancement: A Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) can move up to a First Assistant, OR Sales Representative or continue education into nursing or Physician Assistant or medical school.
- Job benefits include medical and other insurance, 401(k) retirement savings plan, and some employers offer tuition reimbursement.
*Source: the Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development as published on www.careerinfonet.org. Actual entry-level earnings will depend on the type of employer among other factors.
- Surgery Centers
- Academic Hospitals
- Endoscopy Suites
- Physicians’ Offices
- Labor & Delivery Units
- Medical Sales Representative
- Research & Product Development
Associate Degree Program
The Surgical Technology Program prepares graduates to function as members of the surgical team, assisting the surgeon, operating room nurse, or anesthesia personnel in a variety of surgical arenas. Theory and practice of surgical asepsis are the focuses of the program. Students develop knowledge and skills in maintaining aseptic technique within the surgical areas of health care delivery.
The program debuts in Sept 2022 and is taking applications for admission to the class starting in Fall 2023.
皇冠线上官网 Surgical Technology Associate Degree Program is in process for approval by accrediting agency ARCSTSA (Accreditation Review Council on Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting)
Surgical Technologist Important Qualities
- Detail oriented Surgical technologists must pay close attention to their work at all times. For example, they need to provide the correct sterile equipment for surgeons during an operation.
- Dexterity Surgical technologists should be comfortable working with their hands. They must be able to provide needed equipment quickly.
- Integrity Because they are trusted to provide sterile supplies and quality patient care during surgical procedures, surgical technologists must have integrity.
- Physical stamina Surgical technologists should be comfortable standing for extended periods.
- Stress-management skills Working in an operating room can be stressful. Surgical technologists should be able to work well under pressure while providing a high level of care.
皇冠线上官网 Community College’s Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting/ARC/STSA.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
25400 US Highway 19 N
Clearwater, FL 33763
6 West Dry Creek Circle, Suite 110
Littleton, CO 80120
The ARC/STSA® is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit accreditation services body providing national recognition for higher education programs in surgical technology and surgical assisting, in collaboration with the Commission on Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), in order to promote quality surgical patient care through quality education. The ARC/STSA® is the only CAAHEP-recognized Committee on Accreditation for education programs in surgical technology and surgical assisting.
Massachusetts Surgical Technologist Requirements
Massachusetts General Law c. 111 §229 introduced new training requirements for surgical technologists hired after July 1, 2013. The statute requires surgical technologists hired after July 1, 2013 to maintain a certified surgical technologist credential or alternative qualification, as defined by the statute. The Association of Surgical Technologists (“AST”) also publishes a Massachusetts Surgical Technologist Law FAQ document which addresses this topic.
Program Goals and Learning Domains of the Surgical Technology Program
Clinical Rotation Component
Please review the Surgical Technology Program Compliance Standards for Surgical Rotation Case Requirements and the First/Second Scrub Role/Observation. Students must comply with the case standard of 120 cases to be eligible to sit for the national certified surgical technology (“CST”) certification examination.
National Certification Exam Outcomes
Upon graduation from the Surgical Technology program, you will be qualified to sit for the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) examination, a national certifying examination conducted by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). A Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) is recognized as competent in the field.
皇冠线上官网 Surgical Technology Program Test Pass Rates Annual Report
The last Certificate cohorts have had a 72 % combined pass rate 13/18. The program has moved to an Associate Degree effective September 2022 with the first class graduating in May 2024.
The class graduating in May 2021 had a 78% pass rate (7/9) on the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) Exam as stated in the 2022 ARCSTSA Annual Report.
Interested in Applying?
All new applicants should plan to attend a Surgical Technology program information session at 皇冠线上官网. Check out our Info Session schedule and sign up today. Please visit 皇冠线上官网’s Selective Admissions page and download the Surgical Technology program admission application. This will provide additional detail on curriculum pre-requisites, health compliance requirements, application deadline and other important details.